I’ll be trying White Pomegranate. According to their Website, this tea is a “hand-crafted blend of our top-grade organic India Oothu Estate White Bai Mudan - that also contains organic high in Vitamin C rose hips!” They describe the taste as “Nectafarious and rich, the chocolate-y overtones of the tea combine effortlessly with the sweet-tartness of the pomegranate flavor.” Hubby and I will see if this is in line with our experience.
Some other teas with pomegranate hubby and I have tried:
- Monk’s Blend Black Tea from The English Tea Store.
- Green Tea Pomegranate from The Republic of Tea — Basically, tea dust in a hemp bag.
About the Company
Zhi Tea, according to their Website, was founded on a dream. That dream was to sell high quality teas. Jeffrey Lorien is the CEO. Candice Oneida is his partner.
Jeff calls himself “Dr. Oolong” and has a blog by that name. Anyone who does not have a medical license but who calls him/herself “Dr.” better have a PhD. Otherwise, he/she needs to post a very clear disclaimer. Jeff was a former programmer at Amazon.com during their early days. No medical degree or PhD in sight.
On the plus side, their Website, though containing a number of misspellings, is full of great information and some very nice photos by Candice. There is also a useful video or two. If you’re new to tea, check out their “New to Tea” page.
As a lover of good tea, I am saddened that tea companies like this one promote such ideas as “organic” and “fair trade.” However, being based in one of the more liberal/progressive areas of the country outside of California and Washington, DC, they don’t surprise me. There is no question that their teas taste good. There are plenty of reviews and comments online to this effect. So, if you want to buy their teas, do so for the tea, but bear in mind that you are ipso facto supporting those nonsense ideas and causing yourself, your friends, your neighbors, and tea growers everywhere harm in the long run.
I’m not picking on Zhi Tea here. Lots of tea companies are jumping on this bandwagon, such as Two Leaves and a Bud. I just can’t stay silent any longer and watch our food supply around the world get tighter and prices get higher. We need to rethink things before we’re all paying $100 for a 1-lb. box of rice at the grocery store.
By the way, I hope the pouch that the sample came in is not standard. Jeff and Candice most assuredly know that tea needs to be stored away from light, air, heat, and moisture. A pouch with a clear side doesn’t exactly keep out light. (Boston Tea also sent samples in a pouch similar to this but said it was just a sample pouch, not the kind they usually ship their teas in.)

My review will be posted soon on The Little Yellow Teapot Tea Reviews, the cutest little teapot reviewing tea on the Internet. And, no, their penchant for the faddy will not influence my review (other than the standard deduction of a half teapot for each fad they follow unless hubby and I really really really like the tea). Based on the 4 reviews I saw on Teaviews.com, I’m not too sure we will. Hubby, Little Yellow Teapot, and I will, of course, make our own assessment.
Taken from http://teatimewithaccargill.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment