Sampurna: Rijsttafel forever!!

Souvenirs of Asia, recalling of a magic moment I lived at a restaurant in Djakarta, curiosity ... I do not why every time I visit Amsterdam I ask daughter Celine to book at a Rijsttafel restaurant. Not that I enjoy hot food, believe me, I am very sensitive to it, but there I go, always in search of the right Rijsttafel. You may recall my previous post about this delicious meal.

I went back to Amsterdam a few times since then but tried restaurants I did not find suitable for a post. And here we go, back to Amsterdam last weekend and a booking at Sampurna was made for me (thank you Celine)... a (rich) god's feast! I loved it, loved the kindness of the service, the elegance of the design, the refined tableware, and the delightful presentation and taste.
We chose the 29.50 Euros per person Rijsttafel and delected ourselves with the many (spicy) courses. I started with a fragrant soup and had a choice of a fried chicken dumpling, both excellent.
Then came the festival of dishes that are typically served around boiled rice. Dry beef in spicy tomato sauce, chicken in chili and coconut sauce, fish fillet in menandonese sauce, chicken in sweet soy sauce, skewer of chicken, vegetables in coconut milk, blanched vegetables in peanut sauce, pickled cucumber.We had different toppings to sprinkle over the rice (for example, fried coconut with peanuts). I was delighted when I had a look at my plate and saw all those colordul dishes around my boiled rice! The food was delicious, but pretty hot indeed. I regret we were charged 2.4 Euros for extra boiled rice - the only way I had to pass down the spicy food!
We had a red Italian Cabernet Sauvignon, the house wine, to wrap the whole meal! We payed 84 Euros for two.
Sampurna is located by the flower market, on Singel Street (bookings are recommended, the restaurant was full full half an hour after we arrived).
My next visit to Amsterdam is in January ...

No comments:

Post a Comment