La Gastronomia Italiana (1)

I wrote about the three different types of cuisine found in the lago di Como area, where I am vacationing, the most important being the one that uses fish as a major ingredient. The other night we stopped for dinner at Argegno, on the border of the lake and found the menu of La Barchetta (small boat) inviting.
I chose a table in the upper terrace, a cosy and delightful space, and asked for suggestions; I was so happy to be invited to try missoltini as an appetizer.The two flat dried fish are served with warm a scoop of polenta. When I had finished, I was asked if I had liked the fare, I replied I had loved it! Antonio's eyes became bright as he explained to me that missoltini were agoni, a fish from the lake caught between May and June. They were sun dried, and pressed with salt in wooden barrels called "missolte" hence the name of this local speciality. At La Barchetta they were grilled and served with wine vinegar (no, no aceto balsamico, he insited, wine viengar). He added that they can be reduced into a paste, like a pesto, and served with spaghetti. I loved his anthusiasm and asked him if I could take a picture of him. So allow me to introduce him here, and to recommend his restaurant!

As prima piati (first course) I had eggplant gratin; I passed the secondi (main course) to leave room for the dessert, the house special chocolate cake. Delicious.
We had a Pinot Gregio (Grey Pinot) that was served very cold. Perfect.
Ristorante Barchetta
Piazza Roma
Argegno

No comments:

Post a Comment