Turkey Meatloaf:Recipe


Mmmmmm meatloaf. Is there a better comfort food than meatloaf and mashed potatoes? I can't think of one. Ok, maybe chicken soup. But I love meatloaf. I love making it as much a eating it. I think it's because you don't need a recipe and whatever you feel like doing with it you can.

I used to use recipes for meatloaf. I even made a terrine style one with three different layers from the Silver Palate Cook Book. But I found I like mine the best.

Here's what I do: I use ground turkey, I like the texture and the flavor. To a little over a pound of meat I crumble a few slices of fresh bread, and an egg and mix it up. Then in the food processor I finely chop a carrot, a stalk or two of celery, an onion and 1/4-1/2 cup of salsa. I add some salt, and whatever else I feel like! Sometimes leftover roast vegetables or a sausage or some chopped prosciutto and a bit of Chinese chili garlic sauce is always a good addition. You can really use a lot of things up in a meatloaf if you have leftovers in the house. Mix the whole thing up in a bowl. I put the meatloaf in a loaf pan lined in foil (easier removal and clean up) and top with a mixture of ketchup and salsa. I bake at 375 for about an hour or until 180 degrees internal temperature.

Serve with mashed potatoes of course! A simple side dish works with it too, like peas or green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment