CQ HQ March 2008


Last month's cry from the depths of my blogger's soul brought in a load of comments, support and suggestions about the future of Cuisine Quotidienne.

I think some of what was communicated could be of interest to all food bloggers, especially those who went through a period of February flailing.

The biggest help probably came from my friend Steve in Eugene, Oregon, who contributed a sweeping and cogent analysis of my situation:

"'Ask not what you can do for your blog; ask what your blog can do for
you.'

At first, it may seem like I'm suggesting you just forget about what
everyone else thinks, and write about what you want to write about. Though
admittedly that was sort of my initial gut reaction, I think your response to
the question can lead you down several routes.

'Ask what your blog can do for you' -- what are you primarily trying to
accomplish?

I could imagine that your main goal is self-motivation.
That is, by having a food blog, you are hoping it will encourage you to be more
passionate about the food you prepare and/or consume.

I could imagine that your primary goal is to
inspire
others
. That is, by having a food blog, you are wanting to share your
love of and appreciation for (certain aspects of) French cooking.

I could imagine that your main goal is one of
professional
advancement
. That is, by having a food blog, you are hoping to build a
name for yourself in the "food blog" community thereby conferring some future
opportunities.

In reality -- and based on your own comments -- it's probably a little of
all three, isn't it?"





Steve had even more to say -- it was perhaps the longest comment I've ever received -- and I think he astutely identified my motivations for writing this blog, and in the right order:

Self-motivation? Heck, yeah! A lot of self-motivation comes from being part of the food blogging community, despite its sometimes frustrating vastness.

Lately I have tried a couple recipes from fellow bloggers' sites and written about them. Rather than feeling a little lame about this blogging approach, this has been a very satisfying experience. It was just plain fun to make Loulou's Roquefort Onion Tart, and even more fun when a fellow blogger tried it herself -- after finding it on my blog -- and posted about it from California. This sort of turn of events motivates me to cook and to find inspiration from other bloggers.

Inspire others? Maybe not inspire, but at least inform...

I do enjoy sharing the reality of cooking in France, but since sometimes this very reality prevents me from cooking, I have made a minor change in my blog title: "Everyday French Cooking" has been changed to "Everyday French Food." Both can be proper translations of Cuisine Quotidienne, and this modification has freed me up mentally to write more about what's in the shops, what others are eating and serving in France, and restaurant food -- because hey, I do get out once in a while!

Professional advancement? Well, food writing is perhaps one of my long-term professional writing goals -- but it is not in the short-term goal department. And writing this blog has helped me make that decision.

So for the moment, Cuisine Quotidienne will simmer along. Some changes may be on the way -- but I'll keep you in suspense about that.

Thanks again for all of your comments and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment