My Dirty Little Secret


Our Christmas meal was a big success this year. I tackled and mastered fresh sautéed foie gras; I roasted a plump free range chicken and simmered a silky sauce for it; and I cooked frozen Brussels sprouts and chestnuts! Yes, one of the stars of my repas de Noël was a dish made entirely from frozen ingredients-- and nobody seemed to notice the difference.

Frozen foods seem to have more class in France than in the USA, where TV dinners and Bird's Eye mixed vegetables may have tarnished their reputation for good. I take advantage of the fabulous choice of frozen ingredients available at the Picard frozen food store, a specialized chain that has brought les surgelés to amazing culinary heights. Most of my friends, especially those who work, do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment