Basque Piperade in Santa Monica ...

Since I arrived in Santa Monica, California, I have been trying restaurants, as Jin Patisserie, Fig, The Border (Mexican), Houston's (burgers), Don Antonio (Mexican) ...I have been going to the gorgeous beach I see from my living room window (so tempting!), I have been strolling along Ocean avenue under the Los Angeles tall tall palm trees ... and not doing much cooking, though I have been to the Santa Monica market at least once a week, mostly getting fruit and ingredients for salads.
But all is not summer laziness. Last night I prepared a Piperade, a basque dish.PIPERADE BASQUE
Ingredients (serves three):
1 green bell pepper, in slices or stripes
1 white onion, sliced
1 lb ripe tomatoes peeled and cut in four
4 free range eggs, beat with a whisk
1 garlic clove, peeled
6 slices of Serrano ham (in Paris I use Bayonne ham)
3 + 2 Tbsp Olive oil
salt and pepper to taste (In Paris I use Piment d'Espelette)

Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a medium frying pan, add the garlic, peppers and onions, let cook over low heat until soft. Add the tomatoes, let cook 10 more minutes, season to taste. Clean the pan.
Beat the eggs, add the vegetables, rectify seasoning.
Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in the clean pan. Add the eggs and vegetables, and proceed as with scrambled eggs.
Serve with the ham (in France the ham is cut a bit thicker and I pass it in a hot frying pan before serving)

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment