Reason Four: Flexible Food

French eating hours are certainly more civilized than their around-the-clock counterparts. But when travelling, it's nice to able to eat when one wants -- and when accompanying three fourteen-year-olds, this was especially convenient.

In London, it was easy to lunch at 11:00 am, or to dine at 5 pm. And I especially like the lack of pressure to order for everybody. A few times I wanted a coffee, or one of the girls wanted a snack, and we were welcome in cafés or sandwich bars even if we didn't all order. Perhaps I wouldn't do this in a proper restaurant, but it was certainly acceptable in any casual place.

In general, eating in London was extrememly open to variations in time, eating habits and individual tastes. I find this is not always the case in France, although I know big cities do offer more and more places to get a quick bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment