Grandma's meatballs

The weather finally cooled down enough to allow me to cook without melting.
I found some ground pork at Intermarché so decided to make my grandma's meatballs.
They are full of garlic and parsley and are really, really delicious. Allow yourself some time, as they need to cook slowly.















1 lb ground pork
3 eggs
generous cup freshly grated parmesan
1/2 cup fine bread crumbs, moistened
minced garlic to taste (I use 4-5 cloves)
minced parsley to taste (as you can see by the photo, I use a lot)

















Put all of the ingredients except the moistened bread crumbs in a bowl and mix gently with your hands. Add bread crumbs and mix again, being careful not to over mix.
Shape into ovals, about the size of an egg and lay them out on a sheet of parchment paper or foil.
Heat 1/4 inch of olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat and cook slowly, not crowding the pan, turning until evenly and lightly browned. Drain on several layers of paper towel.
Makes about 12-14.

Now, do you eat them plain, right away, without sauce? With slices of provolone cheese? Or simmered in tomato sauce to eat later? I tend to do all three. I have one (or two) just after they're cooked, usually burning my tongue in the process. Then I'll save a couple of plain ones to have with provolone and simmer the rest with sauce. They are also wonderful the next day, cold, in a sandwich.

She also makes these delicious green beans, but that recipe will have to come later.

Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment