Reason One: London's Borogh Market

I know I've been terribly slow at getting posts up, but I'm getting organized again. I've promised you five things I loved about eating in London, so here is the first one: The Borogh Market.

I happened upon this covered market while walking to the London Dungeon. Prices were out of sight: the asparagus above cost about 24 euros a kilo, as compared to around 7 euros a kilo in Rodez.


The produce was beautifully displayed. I later learned that this is London's premier market. I can see why.


There were a lot of Mediterranean and French products, but these meat pies are a British speciality and looked delicious.


A number of stands sold only one item, such as this produce stand above that had only tomatoes for sale.


Cheese stands displayed French and British cheeses. Once again, the prices were high: regular "Comté" cheese went for 27 euros a kilo.

What I liked the most about this market was the tasting: almost every stand had samples of their products. Chutneys, jams, breads, cheeses, olives: I was able to enjoy a large variety of high-quality food and chat with the vendors. This market was certainly as attractive and dynamic as any French market I have been to -- but two to three times as expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment