Which One Would You Choose?


Consider the above birthday cakes for Cuisine Quotidienne! On December 23rd, 2006 I wrote my first post for this blog. But actually I have another subject to write about today, so won't spend much time musing over the creation and continuation CQ...

For the first dozen years I lived in France, I never really gave bûches de Noël much thought. I couldn't imagine making one myself, and those I saw for sale looked frosting-heavy and generally unappealing. I'm sure in big cities, pastry shops have always been making classy, creative versions of these French Christmas desserts, but here in Aveyron I've definitely noticed an improvement in the variety of Yule Log Cakes available over the past few years.

The traditional bûche is filled with buttercream but, if the flyer above is any indication, it may be losing ground to "bûches mousse" -- also called "bûches légères" -- and bûches glacées, which can be quite delicious but don't always taste right for the season. The local bakery chain where I picked up this ad was doing some heavy promotion of their thirteen varieties of bûche last Wednesday, offering samples and giving a 10% discount to customers ordering them before Friday.

I didn't go for their pitch, but I am ordering two small bûches through the local grocery store because my children, who grew up with Christmas cookies as their main Christmas dessert, have fallen in love with the mousse-based varieties. It's a good thing, because I didn't have time to bake Christmas cookies this year anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment