Farewell dinner (2)

My previous post was about the dessert I served in the farewell dinner I prepared for our very good friends Yves and Fafa.
I started with dessert because I love them and I wanted to share with you my recipe of Mousee au Chocolat, step by step.
Let's talk about the meal now. Every meal starts with a well dressed table! Because our friends and us met while we lived in China, and have plenty of memories of our years in Asia, I decided to use a tablecloth in "Jouy" fabric with "chinoiseries" representations, and my Chinese tableware.

I told you we started in my deck with Champagne, didn't I. So here it is! First service for the five of us, while we waited for two more guests.

When we moved from the deck to the dining room area, we started the meal with smoked duck breasts on a bed of salad (no picture available, sorry). The main course was a 3 lb veal roast that I cooked covered in an iron cast pan in the oven for 70 minutes. The sauce was simple and delicious: the veal sucs, Noilly, creme fraiche, salt and Espelette pepper (from the basque area). As a garnish I served 2 lb of whole bonnotte potatoes (they come from Noirmoutier Island off the Atlantic Ocean French coast, famous for its salt, oysters, and this type of potato) and have a very special taste; and glazed carrots. I boiled the small potatoes whole and with the skin for 10 minutes and then sauteed them in vegetable oil with sea salt for 10 more minutes. I peeled the 2 lb of carrots leaving a little bit of the green stem, sauteed them in butter and oil with two pieces of brown sugar, then added 1/2 cup of water, salt, pepper, I covered and let simmer for 15 minutes.
We had a red Saumur Champigny 2005 with the meal - but Fafa and I had Champagne all along.
As for the Mousse au Chocolat, you already know how to make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment