Buy Book; Eat Great Turnips

I was happy to discover today that one of my favorite French cookbooks, Les Légumes de Mon Moulin by Roger Vergé, was translated into English about eight years ago. From the availability on Amazon, I'm not sure Roger Vergé's Vegetables in the French Style is still in print, so you might want to act quickly.

Vergé has great ideas for virtually every vegetable. His ratatouille recipe is tops, and I just tried his Cremée de Navets et de Pommes de Terre -- basically a turnip and potato gratin. There are a few extra steps compared to a normal gratin recipe, such as half pre-cooking the veggies and then gently warming them in a cream sauce before baking the dish, but this is the result:

Vergé's vegetable dishes do go beyond the basics, but they are generally simple to cook and call for everyday ingredients. If you want to pep up your vegetables, I would definitely recommend you get your hands on this book -- before it's too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment