Blog Name Change


You may or may not notice a change in C.Q.'s blog title. I hope the addition will clarify that my blog is written in English, and also define the notion of "cuisine quotidienne."


When I chose the original title in December 2005 , I was counting on readers' knowing the English word "quotidian." (Actually, I wasn't counting on having any readers, but I still wanted an appropriate title!) Since then, I have found out that a lot of people don't know the word "quotidian," which is admittedly used much less in English than in French.


Strangely, the word came across my Merriam-Webster Word of the Day alert a few months ago, and it reminded me that I may need to redefine my title. Rest assured, "quotidian" is a certified word in English, with a meaning almost identical to the French one:


quotidian \ kwoh-TID-ee-un\ adjective
1 : occurring every day 2 : belonging to each day : everyday 3 : commonplace, ordinary


Of course, you all knew that, right? But I've still modified my blog title, just in case...

(Image and quotation courtesy of Joy of backspaced , a blog about writing that seems to have disappeared in July 2005. I hope to hear from her and see if she has a new one...)

No comments:

Post a Comment