Cuisine Catastrophique

For my fellow expat readers, how do you face up to cooking during your busiest times? And what do you cook?

Pour mes lectrices françaises, comment arrivez-vous à cuisiner pendant cette période de l'année si chargée? Et que cuisinez-vous?

For me, this was a week of cuisine catastrophique.

May and June are insanely busy times in France: every club, association, school, workplace and group of friends feels it has to schedule some end of the year soirée or évènement. There are also kids' performances: dance recitals, plays, concerts. It used to be enough just to go to my own childrens' "spectacles"; now my kids want to go to all of their friends' too. Rather than doing two round trips to Rodez for a total of 72 kilometers, I often stay and "enjoy" these shows myself.

In this flurry of activity, cuisine of any sort goes right down the drain. I didn't cook one meal I was proud of this week -- my crowning glory was turning some leftover rice into a traditional French salade de riz. Ready-made dishes from Picard , which had been absent from our table for months, reared their tempting head.

This all makes me wonder how other working women in France deal with this busy time of year. Do tell! Dites-le-moi!


No comments:

Post a Comment