A Cheese Field Trip

As I sat on my friend's terrace nibbling a bit of rich, buttery Comté under warm, sunny skies last Saturday, I realized just how far I've come from my pastry chef days.

You see, I had just been offered dessert, a colorful selection of cassis, cherry or apple tartlettes, and politely declined each and every one. I was happy to just sit there and work my way around the abundant cheese platter they had placed on the table.
I actually chose cheese over dessert. My how things have changed!

So, it should come as no surprise that I will go pretty far out of my way to discover a new cheese shop or to visit a small cheese producer.


My sister is also a cheese enthusiast so while visiting her in California we decided that a little field trip to The Cheese Shop in Carmel was in order.


The Cheese Shop - Carmel

Carmel is only about 45 minutes south of her home so we jumped in the car one morning and drove on down.


the selection was impressive

It was a warm, welcoming and friendly place with shelves crammed with cheese, wine and gourmet foods from around the world.





They happily offered a taste of any cheese you were interested in. And we took full advantage of that!



We finally made our choices and purchased some wine, bread, chocolate, a piece of creamy Fourme d'Ambert, some sublime Humboldt Fog, an aged Pleasant Ridge Reserve, Brie de Meaux and a very special Parmigiano-Reggiano Vacche Rosse.

It was a very successful field trip!


The Cheese Shop - Carmel
Carmel Plaza (lower level)
Ocean and Junipero
Carmel, CA 93921



Finally...the cheesiest photo ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment