Don't throw away radish leaves, make a potage

Spring brings so many vegetables to the market - and our tables! This morning as I went to my local market to do the shopping for the long weekend (today is a public holiday in France) I was tempted by a bunch of very red, carrot like radishes among many other things.
The producer asked me if he left the leaves or if I wanted him to remove them, and added: "are you making a potage?". So I said yes, to keep them for me to make a potage. Back home, I washed the radishes with the leaves, placed the former on a tray with butter and salt. That is how the French eat radishes, you cut a slice when they are big or eat it whole when they are small, you spread a bit of butter and add salt. I kept the green leaves in a strainer. I took a medium onion and chopped it.
Then I heated olive oil in a pan and browned the chopped onion little bit. I added the radish leaves, and covered the pan, stirring occasionally. After 6-8 minutes, I added 2 cups of boiling water (actually I had steamed green beans earlierto have for lunch and had kept a large glass of the green bean water, this is what I added to the radish leaves), I seasoned with sea salt and pepper, and brought to a boil. Then I added one sliced potato, and let it cook for 10 minutes or until the potato was soft.
I blended the mixture until I had a smooth cream, rectified seasoning and kept it in the fridge for the evening meal. I am planning to add some cream ... a bit of creme fraiche never hurts ..
I will serve this potage with a cheese platter ... my light evening meal is ready!
MALO UPDATE:

Malo fans will be happy to know that it has become a handsome young pigeon. Here is Malo, looking afar from my window.

Malo follows its parent from my window to the balcony of the neighbors opposite the street with impetu!

No comments:

Post a Comment