Sweet Potato and Black Bean Cakes


I've started this post over several times now.  It's just not coming, but I so want to tell you about these.

I started by thinking that instead of economic depression, I wish these would sweep the world.  Then I wanted to tell you about how they're an all-in-one package.  Inexpensive ingredients, kitchen basics mostly, healthy, tasty, satisfying.  And if you ever find yourself in an adorable Chicago apartment with an only minimally equipped kitchen (as I did last weekend while visiting my sister), you can still pull them off.  Yes, you might have to buy a $4 box grater at the grocery store while you're there getting your sweet potato, but it will be worth it.  A sweet potato, a box grater and a little pan for the garlic and green onions.  The only other thing really is a can of black beans, plus, you know, some spices.  One spice, actually.  Cumin.  So you see how approachable they are? Hardly anything to buy and they're ready quick, too.


I found the recipe on Esi's wonderful blog Dishing up Delights.  She got it from Martha Stewart, but I so prefer to imagine it coming from her kitchen.  Every time I see Martha on television I'm struck by how much interrupting of her guests she does, how overbearing she is.  Esi's blog is not overbearing.  I imagine that cooking with her in California would a relaxed experience.  And this is a relaxed little dish.


While Esi made 4 cakes, I decided to divide the mixture into 8 smaller disks that were intended for pitas.  I'll post the recipe as I made it here, but Esi garnished her patties with a lime and jalapeno spiked sour cream, which sounds delicious.  I decided not to push my luck in the little Chicago kitchen, and popped a can of salsa instead.  So if you want the sour cream, you'll have to go visit Esi to get it.

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Cakes

Oil for the pan
3 scallions, sliced (half a bunch)
4 garlic cloves passed through a press
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped, with seeds and ribs removed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper
1/2 sweet potato, grated
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup breadcrumbs

Warm the oil in a saute pan over medium heat.  Add the scallions and cook for about a minute until they're soft.  This will only take about a minute.  Add the scallions, garlic and cumin and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Place this mixture into a large bowl.

Add the beans and mash the mixture with the back of a fork, mashing about 75% of the beans, but leaving some of them whole for texture.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add in the rest of the ingredients.  Divide into 8 balls and flatten them between the palms of your hands into patties.

Lay the patties on a greased cookie sheet and broil on one side for about 8 minutes.  Carefully flip, then broil on the other side for about 3 minutes more.  If you're my sister and using that rip-roaring hot broiler of yours, the total time will be 3 minutes, and you won't be able to flip.  They'll still be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment