A Good Deal of a Meal

It's a good thing I'm honest, because I could make you think that I have been cooking all of these wonderful dishes in my very own kitchen. Yes, that is the same tablecloth that you see on many a Cuisine Quotidienne photo, but I have to tell you the truth: these dishes come from one of Rodez's excellent restaurants.

It used to be called Willy's, but now it's Au Grain de Sel and you can eat an impressive three-
course meal there, wine included, for only fifteen euros.

I started with the sautéed baby scallop salad -- the scallops were cooked in balsamic vinegar for a fresh and tangy taste.
The main course was the only slight disappointment. The vegetables -- honey-glazed carrots, spaghetti squash and snow peas -- were delicious, as was the foie gras sauce for the pièce de boeuf. We even paid 3 euros extra (a pittance, I admit) for this piece of Aubrac beef, from the Maison Conquet, one of the area's most reputable butcher's. This particular cut was unfortunately on the tough side -- perhaps not aged long enough -- and it was a pity that the smooth sauce was not put to advantage.

All was forgiven at dessert, though. The lemon ricotta cake was quite similar to an American cheesecake, with a crumble-like crust, delicate and beautifully presented.

Despite the little problem with the beef, I think Au Grain de Sel is on its way to great things, and for a very reasonable price. And you can't beat their taste in tablecloths!

Au Grain de Sel

2 rue de la Viargue

12000 Rodez

05 65 68 17 31

No comments:

Post a Comment