Reason Five: A Few Good Addresses

Pizza Express near Trafalgar Square

I've been back from London for two weeks, so I guess it is time to wrap up my raving about the big city and get back to the main subject of this blog. But I don't want to finish my London posts without giving you a few addresses in case you decide to hop over the Channel for a few days.

London is full of restaurant chains, and most of them are overpriced. But I would recommend Pizza Express. The name is unfortunate and leads you to expect a Pizza Hut wannabe. But the Italian food is a definite cut above your usual pizza joint. Prices are fairly reasonable and the atmosphere is relaxing and slightly upscale. You can find these restaurants all over London and they're a nice place for a lunch or dinner.

We also discovered a real find: the International Salvation Army Headquarters Cafeteria, called, more compactly, Cafe 101. It is open to the public, but is patronized mainly by office workers. It offers honest, cafeteria-style food in a pleasant setting. I don't have the exact address but if you cross the Millenium Bridge from the Tate Modern side to the City side, it will be on your right just after you get off the bridge. I'm surprised this place wasn't in my Guide du Routard guidebook, yet it was nice not to have to share it with other tourists.

We celebrated our last night in London with a delicious Chinese meal at The Mekong restaurant, 46 Churton Street, not far from the Pimlico tube station. London supposedly has 1200 Chinese restaurants, so how can you choose just one? This place was recommended by my Guide du Routard and was excellent, and reasonably-priced. Its out of the way location assures a mix of locals and tourists. Don't be discouraged by the small ground floor dining room -- the action is in the basement, as with a lot of London eateries.

No comments:

Post a Comment