A dinner with friends

Being busy does not refrain my joy of having friends for dinner!
Last Friday evening we enjoyed the warmth of friendship with the following menu.For a quick appetizer, I cut the 2 ends of baguettes, toasted them, and spreaded some red onion confit, then I placed two filets of anchovies.The main course was a free range guinea hen from Dordogne with Agen prunes. Then I served a salad and a Mont d'Or cheese which I presented whole.
My desert was the cremes brulees scented with vanilla beans from Indonesia, that I had prepared the day before since you need time for this delicate custard to be firm. I dressed the table with chinaware I brought from China; the table cloth is a Toile de Jouy chinoiserie pattern.
I served a Saint Emilion grand cru 2005.
Bon appetit!

Creme Brulee
4 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
2 cups crème fraîche
2 cups of whole milk
½ cup sugar
Vanilla bean
Steps:
Heat the milk with the vanilla bean. Let cool. Heat the oven over medium heat and prepare a double boil(put very hot water in a pan where you're going to place the ramkins). Mix the yolks and eggs in a large bowl. Add the creme fraiche, then the milk, keep on mixing well. Add the sugar. Remove the grains from the vanilla, add, and blend well.
Pour the mixture in the buttered ramekins and place them in the Bain Marie (double boil) and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. It has to become a custard but it should never boil.
Let cool in the fridge for at least 6 hours.
Before serving spread brown sugar on every ramequin and burn with a creme brulee torch till brown. Typically, this was done with a crème brûlée iron which was heated over a flame and placed on the sugar.
Serve immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment