Galette des Rois, a French tradition

Early morning in Paris ... since January 1st, the bakeries are ready for the season of Galettes de Rois! So I better hurry up to tell you abou it, before there are no more galettes around, the season lasts only two weeks!My deck plants rest this winter after the cold spell in December (see prvious post!) and at the market I bought a tray of hyacinths, pink and white, to bring a note of color to my Parisian winter.In France, the "galette" is a speciality pastry that celebrates Epiphany, a christian celebration to remember the visit of Kings to Jesus on January 6th.
The classic galette in Paris is made with puff pastry and almond paste inside.

This year, I bought the traditional bordelaise galette, a brioche crown with dry fruit and candied sugar on top, at Maison Delcourt, a very good bakery near my home.
Maison Delcourt is rue Boileau and has delicious bread, pastries, chocolates, and marrons galces, and I stop by when I do my market at the Porte de Saint Cloud on Sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment