The First Few Steps Toward French Citizenship

This week I'll walk down to the Mairie to turn in my Demande d'Acquisition de la Nationalité Française (French Naturalization/Citizenship) dossier in the hopes that it will be turned in to the sous-préfecture in a timely manner and that Béziers won't take the projected 18 months to provide an answer. (but if I know the sous-préfecture in Béziers, it will take even longer)
And I want that answer to be OUI.
Bien sur!

Our sexy, well-coiffed and well dressed postmistress delivered a letter from my dad yesterday that included copies of his and my mom's birth certificates as well as their marriage certificate to include with my application.

I also have to supply:
  • my birth certificate and official French translation
  • my husband's birth certificate and official French translation
  • our marriage certificate and official French translation
  • proof of residency in France for the last 5 years
  • list of previous places of residence (how far back do I go? No idea)
  • list of former employers
  • names of all siblings
  • names of all children (easy - none)
  • names of all pets (just kidding)
  • photos
  • two copies of the completed application
I don't want to sound pessimistic, but if living here for 5 years has taught me anything, it is to never expect things to go smoothly when dealing with French bureaucracy!

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment