A Tale of Two Tomato Tarts

It's funny how I sometimes find myself making the same dishes at the same time as another fellow food blogger.

Last April, both Ken of Living the life in Saint-Aignan and I were trying out different blanquettes: his with veal, mine with lamb.

Now, right as I'm starting to get back into the swing of cooking, I recently made a tarte à la tomate, only to find that my friend who writes Chez Loulou had just blogged about one herself.

Hers, inspired by the French Farmhouse Cookbook by Susan Herrmann Loomis, started with the same base: a thin layer of Dijon mustard, then the tomatoes.

But whereas the Loomis version features garlic and gruyère cheese, my improvised version skipped the garlic, used crumbled feta cheese, and was covered with fresh parsley as soon as I took it out of the oven.

I would love to show you the end result, but the photos didn't turn out that well -- most unfortunately, because it was a great-looking, not to mention great-tasting, tart.

But take inspiration from the base -- mustard really peps up tomato tarts.

No comments:

Post a Comment