Making Jam


This year our friend's apricot tree produced so much fruit that one of it's branches broke from the weight! They were picking for days and sharing the fruits (no pun intended) of their labor with everyone.
After leaving their house last week with a couple of giant bowls of apricots I decided it was about time I learned to make jam. I've made wine, vinegar and bake bread all the time. But I've never made jam.

I didn't have pectin and didn't want to go out and buy new jars since I had a bunch of old Bonne Maman jam jars stored under the stairs, so I decided to make freezer jam. It looked easy and I could control how much sugar went in.
The result was gorgeous, delicious, perfectly sweet and...not jam. It didn't set up!
Hey, c'est la vie. I had a fantastic apricot "freezer compote" to drizzle on plain yogurt and vanilla ice cream.

My next attempt will be Reine Claude plum jam. Maybe I should buy some pectin this time?

No comments:

Post a Comment