Return from...


I am back in France -- and hopefully back to regular blogging -- after a 6-week stay in my hometown of Olympia, Washington.

It's a return from:

- An informal yet very pleasant style of entertaining. How I love to eat at my best friend's house where guests are greeted with a glass of excellent wine that the host and hostess may already be sipping; where the starters are set out (photo above) so everybody can immediately dive in; where the meals are classy and delicious but don't run so late that you can't do anything else with your evening.

- My mother's delicious comfort food: freshly baked cookies, lemon meringue pie, "Seafood Louis" salads with thousand island dressing (it's the only time this dressing tastes good to me) ; in general, tasty, simple fare served with plenty of side dishes...

- A coffee-stand habit that I had managed to buck over the last few visits

- No cooking -- except for a few humble quiches that my family considers a real delicacy

- Surprisingly good bread and excellent salad dressings

No comments:

Post a Comment